Thursday, November 19, 2009

Incorruptible Glory

The idea of incorruptible glory found me today. Randomly. Of course.

So, I royally jacked up something today. Something I do every now and then. "Hey, playas mess up too! (Friday After Next)"
In truth it won't be as big of a deal in the world as it actually is to me. While it's not earth shattering what I did, or the response I received, I did think about it much of the day within the context of this quote. How easy is it to lose sight of just how small we really are in this world? I guess just as easily as it is to lose sight that, at the same time we, and our actions, can be widely significant.

Except when it comes to life. Perhaps this inability to corrupt life and it's glory is why it [Life] can continue to go on.

There's nothing we've done to live and bask in the glory that is Life. It is a free gift, given to each of us, and renewed in each of us, from day-to-day.

Knowing this, it makes sense that since it is by nothing I have done to receive it [it being Life], there is nothing I can do to corrupt it at its essence. Things may seem corrupted, discorded, even completely destroyed at times. Looking deeper though, those are static conditions of life that are only at the surface level. Those times when it seems like you are in a corner, up against a wall or guilt or shame ridden. Nothing is as big in the grand scheme as we can make it in the present. Life, its glory, is bigger than we can fully comprehend, let alone tarnish beyond its surface, no matter how seemingly grave our actions or resulting circumstances may be.

I guess this might also mean that Sarah Palin is not as big of a threat to American progress and evolution as my gut tells me she is when I see her speak. She was on Oprah today and it took every fiber of my being not to book a one-way off this rock for the sake of my future sanity and national pride. Sarah Palin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she is sharp. Definitely not the brightest bulb in the marquee, but she hasn't been replaced yet. Her inability, while being interviewed by Katie Couric, to name a major news publication that she has read shows she's not the most well-read either. They covered this during the Oprah interview. When questioned about it, Palin somehow figured out how to deflect responsibility for her inability to answer a simple and pointed question while running for Vice-President of the United States.

More than any of her inabilities (and there are plenty to choose from), this ability of responsibility-deflection is why I am most afraid of Sarah Palin. She should be a non-entity, seeing as though she has no relevant place in national politics any longer. Unfortunately, she won't go away, and no one seems to be interested in making her go away. How has a living moot point become a self-appointed "spokesperson" for "the real America" (a phrase she uses in different iterations quite frequently while being interviewed by Oprah), and now a national bestseller? Guttenberg must be pissed. The ancient Egyptians too. From hieroglyphics to THIS?!

America, I remain in awe. Your glory seems to be easily corruptible.

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth." (V for Vendetta)

Let's sleep on that.

No comments: