Monday, November 23, 2009

Random Thoughts on The Road

"When engaged in combat the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God, or Buddha himself."

I'm not sure why this quote got me today. I think the stresses of life are starting to mentally pull me into fighter mode. Sorry if you cross my path at this time.

Someone told me that it's all a game. I disagreed then, and I pretty much still do. For the most part.

It's gotta be a war. Not just any war, but a fight to the death. Those hyper-amped kung-fu fight films I used to watch with my dad in the basement. Just when it seemed like the evil opponent had approached the point of absolutely demolishing our chosen hero, this divinely equipped protagonist seeking their revenge, reward or reconciliation, that hero found some other amulet or tool to keep fighting. And ultimately win. To keep fighting.

The stakes seem too high and my first instinct is to fight back with whatever I can grab. So yeah, it's gotta be a war. Living, learning, loving, politicking, planning.

Cause if it were a game, there would be rules. Right? Or are there rules? Is there a right and a wrong way to engage? Are the rules etched in stone, or do I have my own erasable tablet to write and rewrite them as I go along?

It's a crazy road we travel, with sharp turns and bumps we often do not see, let alone are able to plan for accordingly. We do a lot of things in our lives to find some semblance of happiness, a measurement always based upon the lack of happiness or abundance we have experienced in memorable (and possibly unmemorable) past.

I've lost a lot of friends this year to the pursuit of happiness. In many different ways.

Some lost sight of the road. Some lost their trust in the road.

Lesson #1. You can't love if you can't trust.

I only want to do the right thing and spread love. First, I've got to get back to a place where I love the road myself. Where I trust The Road again.

There are days that come to answer, and days that come to question.

Does our life experiences shape us into fighters or gamers? Warriors vs. jesters? Is one way better? Or is it about balancing the two? It is always hard to forget the past, especially the parts that singed you. What is a game to some, is a fight to others.

That's enough of that. My **new vocabulary alert** "bestie" (aka - homie, best friend, ace boon coon, etc.) told me tonight that I think too much. I'm too damn smart. So true, so true. That's my weapon though. Always has been.

Everything in life is relative. One person's dilemma is another person's salvation. At the end of the day, we all want to be happy and free, and we're all willing to fight with whatever weapons we know to win the fight and have that.

I'm listening to The Road from Zero 7's latest album, Yeah Ghost. Check it out. Zero 7 might be the best musicians in the game right now. Hands down. Transcendental music.

No comments: