Monday, December 14, 2009

Keep your head to the sky

So daydreaming is always framed as being a negative. At the very least, it has been presented as some act of those without drive and/or ambition. Really it is a lack of presence in a fixed state. Assuming the definition of so called "reality" as we know it is in fact limited to the current, present state of being, which is fixed and static without any possibility of affecting or changing, except by predicting it's future manifestation and affecting it.

[Aside: Reality is defined as:
"reality [rɪˈælɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the state of things as they are or appear to be, rather than as one might wish them to be
2. something that is real
3. the state of being real
4. (Philosophy) Philosophy
a. that which exists, independent of human awareness
b. the totality of facts as they are independent of human awareness of them See also conceptualism Compare appearance [6]
in reality actually; in fact

Daydreaming may be someone's only saving reality in fact. If the current state of being that is THE only influencing factor in the above-mentioned "state of things as they are or appear to be", at least the only influencing factor in that very milli-minute moment, is too harsh or limiting, why would a person not elect to daydream instead.

So I've been daydreaming these past couple of days. Hence my lack of writing, and my abundance of suckiness within my blogging sphere of my reality, my existence. Some ideas and feelings are too abstract and too drawn out to be captured in mere tactile Standard American English words.

But I am back. And I am in the holiday spirit even when I have not partaken of any spirits. That is a beautiful thing.

The holidays are always an interesting time to observe oneself and one's contemporaries, friends, compadres, compatraiates, fellow daydreamers. It is the one time of year that Daydreaming is not only encouraged, it is almost enforced. The magnificent alternative realities we humans create around the holiday season (I've just recently visited New York's Manhattan Island and my perception of the holiday is still framed within Fifth and Madison Avenues) can be very moving and influential. Like a drug (like chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, etc.) the creations can bring out different emotions and actions in different people, all depending on their state prior to consumption. The sad souls may become sadder. The rich souls may flaunt their riches more than usual. The rich people may flaunt their riches more than usual. The sad people, may drink more.

The holidays always remind me to be truly thankful for the sky. For one, the daylight is shorter thanks to Daylight Savings (among other things a mechanism to hide the detrimental effects of non-naturally renewing sources of energy) so the little daylight I have has to be taken advantage of in creative ways in conjunction with a Modern Day Dandy's Buppie 9-5. Most importantly though, the sky is where I knew my psyche, my soul, as well as the head I could carry it in, was safe in my dreams even during the daylight.

So I keep on daydreaming, especially in this time of year when the daylit sky, where they've made it seem dreams don't belong, is shortened. The sky is a safe harbor for dreams. This time of year and all times of the year. Many moons have passed and many dreams have become "reality". Some of those dreams were thumping about in the night, some were running through the sunlit sky.

I am decorating my apartment for Christmas. Gotta have some Christmas cheer. That I definitely get from my Grandparents.

There are two songs I just heard after a long time. They both were really instrumental in my childhood. They both also were really inspirational, and remain so. Especially in times like these. Whoda thought at the onset of this Millennium, this quickly ending decade, that we would be thrust in a zeitgeist of war, poverty, economic strain and political strife. It definitely makes it harder for me to argue with my Pentecostally minded mother on abortion, birth control and marriage equality + freedom as the necessary future of our world, thus our national society. I keep my head in the clouds with my daydreams nonetheless.

Sounds Of Blackness - Optimistic



Earth, Wind, + Fire
(One of The Greatest Bands to ever LIVE and play music) Keep Your Head to the Sky - Keep Your Head to the Sky



We live, We love, and We learn. We're daydreamers.

1 comment:

Josh Knight said...

This post rings true. I believe that to daydream is to embrace your humanity, to imagine something different, better, intangible, and intense. Without the dreamers, humanity is stagnant. Keep on dreaming that dream.